We will join with Christians around the world in recognizing the importance of the protestant reformation that was begun 500 years ago. Below is a list of Reformation activities here in the Memphis area.
- Monday, Oct 2, Reformation Music Festival, Trinity Lutheran Church, 7:30 pm
- Tuesday, Oct 3, Memphis Theological Seminary Chapel, 11:00 am, Pastor Bahlinger guest preacher
- Reformation Book Store, St. Luke, Sunday, Oct 1 and 8
- Thursday, Oct. 12, Beer and Hymns, Meddlesome Brewery, 6-8 pm.
- Reformation 5K fun run, Saturday, Oct 21, 9am Green Line
- Octoberfest, St Luke, Oct 21, 6:30pm, Saturday
- Community Reformation Service, Church of the Holy Communion, 5:30 pm., Sunday, Oct 29
- Reformation Day Service, Oct 31, St. Mary’s Episcopal Cathedral, 11:30 am., sponsored by Memphis Theological Seminary
As you can see from the list above, this is a full line up of activities. St. Luke is joining with area ELCA congregations, Episcopal congregations and the Memphis Theological Seminary.
For the entire month of October, we will have a Reformation 500 theme during worship at St. Luke. The sermons will focus on God’s Word, Holy Baptism, Luther’s teaching on the “two kingdoms”, vocation in Christian life, and justification.
One of the best ways you can help to celebrate is to invite a friend to participate in one or more of these activities. This is truly a historic time, 500 years and we are still sharing the good news of faith alone, grace alone and word alone.
Join with me in commemorating the birth of our Lutheran understanding of God’s abundant grace and love. Read a biography on Luther, hear the sermons, and attend one of the special services.
Join the celebration,